Welcome to a new airlinercafe! As you can see, a lot has changed. Please take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the site. As with anything new, it will take a while to get used to it and to find your way around. We hope you find this new version to be easier to use, more intuitive, and streamlines. Let’s get started!
Recover Your Account
From the main menu, click the Login link which will take you to the log in link. While your username is exactly the same as the previous site, your password from the old site will not work here. Click on the Lost Your Password? link to enter your email address for a password reset email. You will receive an automatic email with instructions on how to select a new password. If you do not receive an email, the email address on file is different than your current email address. In that case, please use the Contact Us form and I will update your email and password.
Posting in Forums
As you can see we have ported over all the forum posts, but some things may not function exactly as you would expect. For example, links to old forum posts in the old site format will not work. Some images which were inserted in forum posts also may not display as they had malformed file names, specifically members uploaded images with spaces in the file name, which is a big no-no. The forum sections match the previous site and should be self-explanatory. At the very bottom of each forum section you will see the text editor to create a new post. You will see the text editor regardless of which page you are browsing.
Images in Forum Posts
We finally have an easy way to insert images into Forum posts! While the old system required 3 steps, you can do it here in one simple step, as long as you have the images ready to go beforehand. To insert an image, you can upload one at time of writing, or select a previously uploaded image from your Media Library. Once you are ready, click the Ad Media button from the top left of the editor which will open a dialogue box to upload an image or select one.
All the Member Galleries have been brought over from the old site. A few images may seem to be missing and probably did not make it over. We found many, many images with spaces in the file name, special characters, and foreign characters which broke image URLs and therefore could not be imported. If you find any of yours missing, please feel free to upload them again here.
To create a Gallery, simply hover over the +New link at the very top and select Gallery. This will bring up a page template for you to add the pertaining info and upload images.
Or you can select the Create New Gallery link from the main nav. Give your Gallery a descriptive title, which will become the URL of the page. Please do not choose a very long title, something along the lines of “Hasegawa 747 in Progress”, or “My Singapore Airlines Zvezda 777” will suffice. After you have entered a title, in the box below, click the “Select Images” button to upload your gallery images.
With this button you can upload or select multiple images at the same time. No need to click the button for every image. After you have selected the images, please enter a description for your gallery. You can use this spot to describe the gallery and/or images.
You may have noticed a few Tags listed at the bottom of some galleries. Tags are used to categorize and group content on the website. Adding Tags to your Gallery will help other members and site visitors find your content. We did not have Tags on the old site, so you will have to take this extra step to help make your gallery searchable and found.
Adding Tags to galleries is very easy.
1. When creating or Editing your gallery page, in the right column you will see a section called Gallery Tags.
2. Click in the input field and type a few characters. After the third character is typed, the autocomplete feature will bring up a few suggestions. For ex. adding “Mcd” in the field, brings up suggestions for all the McDonnell Douglas tags that are already in the database.
3. Click on one of the suggestions if it pertains to your gallery. Here, I’m clicking on “McDonnell Douglas DC-10” to select that tag. After you have made your selection, click the “Add” button to add it to the page. At this point, you can enter more tags or click on “Add” after selecting each term.
4. After selecting a Tag, you will see it listed below the text field, with a small “X” next to it. Click on the X to remove the tag if you added it accidentally.
5. Alternatively, before entering any text in the search field, you can click on the link “Choose from the most used Gallery Tags” which will bring up the most popular tags. This will make adding Tags much faster and easier.
6. This is what the Tag box will look like after you’ve selected a few Tags.
7. This is what it looks like at the bottom of the Gallery page. Each Tag is clickable and clicking on it will bring up a page of all the Galleries that are tagged with that term.
Please select a few pertaining Tags for your gallery. Please do not add duplicate tags. Always search and select a Tag if available, before entering any new ones. Thanks for your help and cooperation.
Still to do:
- Port over the Kit and Decal Database.
- Port over the remaining articles.
This page will be continuously updated in the next few days with more instructions. Please bear with us while we continue to iron out the wrinkles of this new site and import some remaining articles which unfortunately have to be done manually.